Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Slow Living Month...August & September

SLOW LIVING 2012 AUGUST & SEPTEMBER

Where on earth as the year flown?! As I write this it's (just!) 10 weeks to Christmas! I'm so excited already!!! We had a massive lead up to our wedding at the end of August, so I have joined August and September into one big SLM update.

{nourish}: I've been pouring over The Little Gnomes Home Real Food Series for some nourishing recipes, we  have loved the Apple Oat and Maple Slice and a few of the French style quiches using whatever we have available and also the meatballs.

{prepare}: Just the easy things done during these months like squeezing fresh citrus and freezing to use later, freezing some strawberries while they're still in season, and freezing kaffir lime leave and lemon grass for future cooking.

{reduce}: Nothing of interest to add here unfortunately!

{green}: I added more Sukin to my range as my old lotions ran out and I needed some make up for the wedding and finally ran out of my old type. I was happy to add a lovely Lavera liquid foundation to my kit. I hardly ever wear make up, but when I do I like it to have good coverage, look nice, smell nice (not chemically) and be affordable. Here is a great list from Sarah Wilson if you've been re-thinking your beauty products but don't know where to begin.

{grow}: We planted a choko that we received during our garden swap and some beans and shallots that we bought at the Spring Fair (see below).




{create}: We created a few things for our wedding which I will be sharing soon in a blog post, but we also made these toddler friendly home-made dominoes for a birthday present and I finally bought this little violet child to life.


{discover}: Reading took a back seat during August and September but I have four new books I am pouring through now, will update in the next SLM.
 
{enhance}: We happily took part in our first community garden swap in August. It was a wonderful sunny day with community spirit alive and well. Essentially everyone bought along something to swap, it was placed on one of a few tables and then you went around picking up items you'd like. I took 6 empty jars, a basket and a dozen eggs from our girls and ended up with a bounty of produce.

Some of the lovely baked goods and preserves

A small selection of the fresh produce on offer.

Our wonderful bounty!
At the beginning of the school holidays in September we went along to a Spring Fair that our friend organised in a park in West End. We had such a great day, playing with the other kids, catching up with other mamas and selling/swapping goods we no longer needed for items we did or some money. I ended up selling many an item for much less than it's original bought price but I was more than happy to see items I no longer needed or used finding new homes.


Bub looking after our market spread.
{enjoy}: Easy to say that our wedding was a massive source of enjoyment these past few months. Not just the day itself but also the lead up and the family holiday away in Palm Cove that followed. It was sad saying goodbye to many friends and Andy's side of the family when the time came, but we have some wonderful memories and hundreds of photos to remind us of such an incredible time.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your nuptials.

    As a yank, I had to look up a couple of things... Sukin and Choko. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...