Tuesday, 17 July 2012

FMOTW...

what's that you ask? Family member of the week!! Still no idea?


A few months ago I had an idea to try and help Marilla learn a bit more about her extended family in a fun and easy way. Enter FMOTW! All of bub's family on her Dad's side are overseas and some of my family are interstate which leaves family get togethers few and far between, but there is going to a big one in August that I also thinking about when this idea struck.

Simply it's a page with a head shot of the family member, their name & relationship to bub and some favourite things. I wanted to choose everyday things that she already had a grasp on but that would be expanded upon so we have favourite colour, animal, fruit &/or vegetable, tree or flower, meal and lastly, favourite treat. Initially it was favourite food but I found that most peoples favourite foods were more of a sometimes food so we added favourite meal in.

I emailed all of the family members asking them to fill in the answers and got Mister to help set up a template to use. Each week I draw a member randomly using random.org but now bub is a bit older I think we could simply draw a member out of a hat which would be more fun for her too. Then by simply using pictures from the Internet to cut and paste into the template I then fill in the answers before finally printing and laminating, before it goes on the wall.


Originally we would use magnetic tape to place it on the fridge but bub loves pulling it off the back so we changed to blu tac on the wall. Turns out it was more effective in the long run given how much space we would need.

If I were more artistic I would had loved to drawn the pictures myself but I was so worried that she wouldn't have a clue of what I had drawn!  But if you have the ability (and a smaller family) then go for it!! Otherwise another idea is to cut pictures out of catalogues, or magazines. There are so many ways to make this your own and to include your children. Even the areas of interest can be changed to suit different ages or interests.

Rilla loves looking through all her family members, it's great that she's getting to know her family better while also learning different things, like what a lychee is! It's also lovely to hear her able to have small conversations with her Grandparents etc about their favourite colour or treat.

I'd love to hear about any family relationship building activities you might do in your home : )







2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I may just have to try something like this with my little E, as all of our extended family live interstate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Polly, I'm glad you like it. I'd love to see what you come up with : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...