Thursday, 8 March 2012

Slow Living...February.

 SLOW LIVING 2012 FEBRUARY

Ahhh, February one second you were here, the next I blinked, and then you were gone.

{nourish}: Continuing on with trying my hand at new meals and using different ingredients I started baking with coconut flour with mixed results, when I perfect this I hope to share a few recipes. All our meals are made by me, but I have to confess nothing out of the ordinary happened this month. Though a favourite breakfast we indulged in was apple and cinnamon pancakes, and one morning we added some raspberries in to mix things up a bit! Wild, huh!

{prepare}: The main way I achieved this during Feb was to restock our dry grains, rice and legumes. We brought bulk a lot of quinoa, barley, flour, lentils, split peas and rice. Mum made tomato relish and generously gave us 3 large bottles worth (Bless). 

{reduce}: I used my old jeans to make my friends new baby some bibs as a welcome to the world present. Denim is so durable and by using a small amount of new, colourful material I was able to make cheap but eye popping, long lasting bibs.





{green}: Nothing new here for us this month, we already use homemade cleaners and ACV for our hair. I did buy some soap nuts for our washing instead of the green washing liquid we had previously bought in bulk, and I’m happy to say that they are efficient and easy to use. 

{grow}: We have been planting more seeds in our garden including tomato, peas, basil and a good bug mix containing to increase the amount of nice and helpful bugs in our garden. Once these die off a bit they will be then be feed for the chooks.

{create}: This month I sewed two skirts for bub, both which she’s happy to look at but not so keen to wear. She’s only worn them once. Does anyone else have this happen?  One of them was made using the leftover denim from the jean bibs mentioned above and the Owl material she chose at the store. We also created a new picture backdrop for our Nature table as it changed from Summer to Autumn (I’m going to do a post about this soon). 

{discover}: I did a fair bit of reading during February, all borrowed from our local library, these three would be my favourites though that I'm still pouring over.

NourishingTraditions by Sally Fallon, a wonderful book that I have heard lots about previously and was finally have a copy to browse through myself. It’s a very in depth, so I think I will have to grab a second hand for myself as the library will want it back before I have even scratched the surface.

I also grabbed a copy of Supercharged Food by Lee Holmes, I follow Lee on facebook and she is very generous with her knowledge and passionate about sharing her recipes. Her book is wonderfully bright and engaging.

I just started to read Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn at the end of Feb and am enjoying it immensely. I have only covered a few chapters but the content is dear to my heart, all about unconditionally loving your child, no matter what. The blurb is off Alfie's website: 

“Most parenting guides begin with the question "How can we get kids to do what they're told?" -- and then proceed to offer various techniques for controlling them. In this truly groundbreaking book, nationally respected educator Alfie Kohn begins instead by asking "What do kids need - and how can we meet those needs?" What follows from that question are ideas for working with children rather than doing things to them.


One basic need all children have, Kohn argues, is to be loved unconditionally, to know that they will be accepted even if they screw up or fall short. Yet conventional approaches to parenting such as punishments (including "time-outs"), rewards (including positive reinforcement), and other forms of control teach children that they are loved only when they please us or impress us. Kohn cites a body of powerful, and largely unknown, research detailing the damage caused by leading children to believe they must earn our approval. That's precisely the message children derive from common discipline techniques, even though it's not the message most parents intend to send.”

It’s an eye opening read and I’m enjoying it very much.

{enhance}: We joined out local community garden and playgroup, as a means of meeting like minded folk, learning new skills and being more active in our local area. It’s a lovely group of mother’s and children of varying ages and even though the garden has been established for a while the playgroup has just begun. It’s lovely to be involved in something that still finding it’s feet and playing a part in building it up. I have taken on the role of singing a few songs and telling a story at the end of each play session, something that I both enjoy and sometime fret over! I also have met new blogger's via the MSL link up, you can never have to many like minded inspirational friends.

Our new Community garden playgroup on a overcast and wet day. New compost bays were only added in February.


{enjoy}: Funny enough my favourite moment from Feb was Andy, Rilla and I driving a couple of hours to see my Sister for her birthday. They live a few hours south so meeting half way is often the best way of seeing each other. Rilla loved seeing her cousins, they played all day and then the next. My poor baby broke down in tears when they left, which in turn broke my heart. Hopefully we'll see them again soon, and if not, then definitely at the wedding in August.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey, lovely to have you joining in again! Nourishing Traditions is on my list of books to read..I keep hearing great things about it.

    Your bibs are just too cute. Loving those fabrics! ;) Enjoy the month. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. Nourshing Traditions is a wonderful source of information and inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Love this entry, those bibs are just too cute. I wish I could sew, on my to-learn list but need to get my hands on a sewing machine first.

    The books sound really interesting, I have so many to read at the moment, but will look out for these ones as well, esp that parenting book.

    Sounds like you had a lovely time with your family visiting your sister. I wish my two girls had cousins to play with, I'm hoping one day they will, but not for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Barbara.

      I hope you might get your hands on one soon, I reallu enjoy the little bit I do. Fun to be creative and purposeful.

      My little ones cousins are 6 hours away on my side and in NZ on the other, but it's lovely to catch up on Skype and makes meeting all the more fun, though I wish they were closer. It'll be a lot of fun for them when it does happen.

      Stacey

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...