Sunday, 3 July 2011

Sewing and Baking

Happy July! How quick is this year going?! I know I shouldn't say it but...it'll be Christmas before we know it!

I've been trying to work on my SBS blocks and though I have the best intentions each Friday when Lelia posts the new block, I'm somehow behind! But I did finish my Log Cabin...


it's not perfect, I had trouble cutting and then some of my seems are to big. It's roughly 1/8 off. I'm hoping it's usable, but I may redo it if I get the chance. I've cut out my material for my second one and hope to finish in the next few days.

I also made a few gifts recently. Including these baby pants...


using the vintage material I mentioned in this post. I used Rae's Free Newborn Baby Pant Pattern, it's ridiculously easy and gives great results. These pants were for a beautiful girl born less than two weeks ago, Welcome to the World baby-girl!.

During my free-time when I'm not sewing or crafting, I'm usually baking. I love cooking in general, but I LOVE baking.

This week I made two loaf cakes for two lovely ladies. One is the gorgeous Mum to the baby-girl mentioned above and the other is the wonderful Mum to a gorgeous Toddler that we see at our playgroup and is helping me make Bub a doll for her 1st birthday.


The cake closest is a Pear and Raspberry cake, while the other is White Chocolate and Raspberry.

Here's the recipe for the Pear and Raspberry Cake:
(* We used all organic ingredients apart from the raspberries which are impossible to find and aren't in season anyway!).

2 ripe pears, peeled, roughly chopped ( I just chop the flesh off the core so I don't have to core it).
Juice of one lemon
150g butter, softened
150g sugar
2 eggs
300g wholemeal spelt flour
2 tablespoons milk
250g fresh or frozen raspberries

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.  Prepare your tin.
Pour the lemon juice over the chopped pears and toss to cover the pear chunks so that they don't brown.
Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. 
Add eggs, beating well after each.
Using a spoon, fold the flour into the butter mixture in 3 separate lots. 
The batter will become very thick but don't worry. 
Stir in the milk, (add more slowly if needed) then carefully add the pears and raspberries to the batter.
Carefully fold through, cautious to not over mix otherwise the cake will all be pink from the raspberries!
Place the batter into the prepared tin, and bake for an hour or until cooked.
One cooked, let the cake cool completely before moving.
Then slice and EAT with a cup of Tea : )

xo

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pear and raspberry cake....can't wait to give it a go...love your whole blog too....well done.
    Xox Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo, so lovely of you to say so : ) Enjoy the cake when you get the chance, Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...