Monday, 30 May 2011

Thrifty 1. Practicing or marked by the practice of thrift; wisely economical...

We are being thrifty in our home. We always have been to some degree but now even more so. It's due to a combination of rising prices, wanting to reuse, reduce, recycle the materials/items we use each day to lessen our effect on our planet and my love of crafting.

Around a year ago I stumbled upon one of the greatest sites: Freecycle. If you haven't had a look and joined up yet I urge you to do so. It's a site where you can both list items you no longer need and browse for items that you do. Often people are moving or decluttering and don't want to throw perfectly good items away. You can join and search by area for what you need, the basic premise being everything listed is free and if you are the collector of an item you will travel to pick it up.

There are two categories of items listed: wanted and offers. I have used it for both things with great results. When I was starting out sewing again I asked for material and other sewing goods and was fortunate enough to receive boxes of good quality assorted material, buttons, scissors and a large array of thread, plus 20+ paper patterns. I've also managed to gather pots for our garden, a jelly mould, 20 cooking books, and some clothes for bub. It really is amazing. We have also given away a Mac that wasn't working anymore but was still suitable for parts. It's a brilliant site and again I urge you to have a look!

Bub's new freecycle winter pants!

Just quickly I want to show you something I'm working on...it's a dress for my Niece L's 3rd birthday. I'm learning a lot along the way and have already had to unpick the bodice once but I hope to have it finished to send by the end of the week. (Pattern recieved from Freecycle!).



And lastly...my ever growing fabric stash...these are just a few of my favourites at the moment...


The top seven fabrics are fabrics that I found on I Just love that Fabric's Tuesday remnant sale on Facebook (Fun Flowers Collection and the organic Marine by Dan Stiles for Birch Fabrics), the next five are some basics and prints from Spotlight and the final five are vintage winter cotton fabrics from the fabric cave... but more on that later!

Hope this finds you all well and dry...it's a very wet Monday here in Sydney but it's lovely snuggling weather : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...